Sobornaya Square is the main square of Ulyanovsk. There is the administration of the governor and the regional government building on the square. The Leninsky Gorki park adjoins the square. It was formed at the base of Simbirsk and was located in the central part of the Simbirsk Kremlin that once existed here. It previously housed the Trinity Summer and Nicholas Winter Cathedral, and the St. Nicholas Cathedral, built in 1712, until 1841 bore the name of the Trinity Cathedral. Now the main building on the square is the Government House, which was built in the 1950s.
The square is the cultural center of the city, as the Ulyanovsk Drama Theater, the Ulyanovsk Philharmonic Hall and the Ulyanovsk Museum of Local Lore are located not far from it.
On the square are all the main events of the city and region. In the summer, basketball courts are located on the square, and in the winter rink.